Spring brings with itself an essence of freshness and life. Right after the long winters, the snow-covered seemingly lifeless trees shed their dullness and adorn themselves with new leaves.
Just like nature wears a clean bright look in spring, we too add life to our homes by cleaning it and fixing problems caused by the previous season. The harsh weather of winter season causes several changes in our homes which need to be put right.I strongly suggest you visit expert tips on home maintenance during Spring to learn more about this.
Let us explore some of the spring home maintenance tips we should keep in mind for the well-being of our homes.
1) Clean gutters & downspouts: Cleaning the gutter and downspouts are essential to avoid water damage of your home. Check for any leaves, gunk, and debris in them and clean it with a garden hose. While cleaning the gutters use a proper ladder and if your home is more than one story, hire professional help to do the job. If there are any leaks, fix them with epoxy or caulking. Make sure that your downspouts are away from the facade or foundation of your house. Clean gutters and downspouts are good for your home.
2) Inspect your roof: If your home is not multi-storied, use a ladder to inspect the roof or else use binoculars. The roof is of prime importance for a home when it comes to defense against bad weather or water damage. So, check the soffits, eaves and surface flashing and conduct a thorough cleaning and a damage fixing session. If your roof is steep, get a professional help. Delays in repairing roof damages can land you in big trouble during showers and storms.
3) Check the fireplace chimney: The fireplace chimney inspection once every year is way of preventive maintenance. The inspection can spot the damages before they result in something bigger. It can save you hundreds of bucks and also ensure your safety.
4) Clean your air conditioner: Preventive checks are always necessary for the long life of your appliances. Such measures also save you lot of money. Get your HVAC properly checked and serviced before the spring season hits. Clean the units and the filters for unhindered air flow. Many local heating & air companies offer service agreements.
5) Clean door and window screens: Windows and doors often show damages or loose frames. Check if the screens are fine or need repairing or replacement. In case of any holes or damages, repair them to restrict entry of dust and bugs. Tighten the loose frames because they can be further damaged when they flap with the wind. Grease the hinges and locks for better functionality. You can also paint them to make them look like new.
6) Clean the dryer vent: A dryer vent needs proper cleaning at the proper time. Check for lint clogging not before it’s too long. A plugged dryer vent not only can raise your electricity bills by having to run longer but also ring fire alarm bells. Yes, it can lead to a house fire. So, remember to keep your dryer vent clean just like your clothes.
7) Trim vegetation & clean siding: Spring is the time to trim any vegetation that is in close proximity to your home. Cut the branches and the limbs even before the leaves grow so that the work is faster and easier. Keep the branches off your roof and facade so that they do not spoil the home paint. Moreover, they will keep squirrels, bugs and raccoons away. If the siding paint has wearied off or has formed algae, clean it with the help of a garden hose and a brush with detergent. This will give your home a new look.
8) Inspect the window & door seals: Winter causes caulking to crack. Replace or fix them so reduce your air conditioning bills.
9) Smoke detector batteries: Smoke detectors are life savers. So, take some time out to see its condition and replace the batteries with new ones at regular intervals for your safety.
10) Sprinklers: Check the sprinkler head and valves and proper water flow. If they are not working right, call a professional to get it fixed.
11) Check overall foundation: Check the walls, siding, floors and masonry for cracks and damages. If you encounter them, call for professional help.
These home maintenance tips will keep your home in its peak condition. Following these won’t let you fall in trouble or cause big monetary loss. A home is our prized possession and spring our favorite season. So, let us celebrate both with love.